Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Deep Thoughts

...with Allison Johnson

...and Rombauer Chardonnay. Quite tasty right about now. I can see why it's called "Danville Crack."

So how do we teach our kids good sportsmanship and the importance of doing their best? Good question. I'm referring to the dramatics of last week's swim meet where Evan didn't win *every* event and acted as if he lost several Olympic gold medals. Oh, and also how he wanted to pull off his teammate's borrowed goggles (our goggles) so that his eyes would get water in them, sting really badly and then he'd LOSE.


Today, I brought out the big guns. I apparently can't lecture the kid successfully but maybe Coach Norman Dale from the film Hoosiers can. I casually call Evan over during the clip and ask him to listen.



Ok, I'm a total sucker for motivational locker room speeches by random (often fictional) high school/college coaches. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the part where he says, 


"And most important, don't get caught up thinking about winning or losing this game. If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says. At the end of the game, in my book, we're gonna be winners!"


Ooooooh, gives me goosebumps!!! I was all excited!


Me: "Evan, did you hear what that coach just said? What do you think about that?"


Evan: (shrugs shoulders, totally bored) "I thought it was dumb." (walks away to go finish Webkinz game)


DAMN FOOL KID! 


You must be dead inside to not want to hear Coach Dale! But yeah. Go ahead and sit on the couch all afternoon during the AMC Rocky Marathon and listen to this sh*t.




What the F was that? Wow. We're talking IQ below 70 here and/or speech co-written by fellow boxer:


I know a lot of people think I'm dumb. Well, at least I ain't no educated fool. ~ Leon Spinks
(Yes, Dad. I totally remember the two of us dying laughing during one of his post-fight interviews years ago.)

Lecture from parents and Coach Dale = unsuccessful

Back to the drawing board!

What's your favorite movie speech?





3 comments:

  1. seriously, allison...i can laugh because I've been there. Did I tell you my son refused to shake the other teams hands after a basketball game they 'lost' (they don't keep score at his level...but he does...and he is always spot on) can I say competitive? lets just say we had one big lesson in sportsmanship after that one, including going and apologizing to the opposing coach!! These traits are going to serve our boys well one of these days...their passion, competitiveness, and leadership will make them rise to the top. Cheers to your wine glass, tonight...you are not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I'm going to show Connor that Hoosiers video tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes! ;) You are a great mom. I would have never thought of doing that...thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Hope you enjoyed that wine! So glad that my daughter is competitive even if she needs a little help controlling her "fire". :) Great job here!

    ReplyDelete